“I had to work through hundreds of applications so the smallest mistake was enough to make me hit that delete button,” Parsons told Digital Music News, “and there were some shockers.”
So Parsons compiled a list of 20 do’s and don’ts when applying for a position.
Some of the do’s:
- Be specific.
- Include a great title in your e-mail application.
- Research competitors.
- Mention that you love the company (even if you don’t).
- Keep your Twitter updated.
Some of the don’ts:
- Don’t tell me “I have wanted to work in music since first picking up a guitar.”
- Don’t swear.
- Don’t under any circumstances say you don’t understand what the company does – but you’re willing to learn.
- Don’t just look online for jobs.
With so many people looking for work – and the music industry hit especially hard – these are certainly words to the wise.
Click to read the whole article here. And good luck out there!