“Nobody has done more to level the playing field for women in music than Carla DeSantis Black.”
MEOW was founded in 2011 by world-renowned activist, lecturer, life/career coach, musician and journalist Carla DeSantis Black, founder of ROCKRGRL Magazine and the nation’s leading advocate for women in music.
A former musician and music industry veteran, Carla also created and produced two highly successful and critically-acclaimed ROCKRGRL Music Conferences which took place in Seattle in 2000 and 2005 respectively as well as ROCKRGRL Day at Musicians’ Institute in Los Angeles in 2003.
The diverse line-up of speakers and performers at the ROCKRGRL Music Conference included such musical luminaries as Patti Smith, Bonnie Raitt, Courtney Love, Ronnie Spector (Ronettes), Amy Ray (Indigo Girls), Ann Wilson (Heart), Johnette Napolitano (Concrete Blonde), Cris Williamson, June Millington, Kathy Valentine (The Go-Go’s), Wanda Jackson, The Gossip, Exene Cervenka, Eliza Gilkyson, Jill Sobule, Sara Hickman and hundreds more.
Other Notable Accomplishments:
- Carla has written for publications as diverse as Rolling Stone, Spin, Bass Player, Gig, Experience Hendrix, MSN, Media Inc, Bitch, The Rocket and the Seattle Times. She was also co-founder of the short-lived Women Who Rock magazine, published by Cherry Lane.
- She was selected as the kick-off keynote speaker at the very first Rock ‘N’ Roll Camp for Girls held in Portland, Oregon in 2001.
- In 2006, Carla was named one of the “50 most influential people in Seattle music” by Seattle (Sound) Magazine.
- Twice nominated for a Lifetime Achievement Award by Seattle Weekly.
- Elected three times as a member of the governing board of the Northwest Chapter of the Recording Academy (Grammy organization)
- Member of the advisory board for the capital campaign of the Vera Project, Seattle’s all-ages music/arts organization.
- Judged KING-TV’s American Idol style talent contest, Gimme The Mic for two seasons alongside iconic rap star, Sir Mix-A-Lot.
- Frequent “talking head” on cable networks VH1 (Behind the Musicand True Spin), E! (True Hollywood Story), MuchMusic and WE: The Women’s Network.
- Music correspondent for the Lisa Birnbach Show and Women Aloud (Mo Gaffney and Shana Wride) on the Greenstone Radio Network.
- Produced a Women of Valor event at Berklee Performance Hall (with Berklee College) to honor and reunite pioneering all-female band, Fanny.
- Executive Producer on two ROCKRGRL Discoveries compilation CDs.